Thursday, July 19, 2012

Big Boy Diapers

When I went to see my son Flynn yesterday in the NICU he was off the oxygen. I was so thrilled to see that. It also appears his neighbor may be leaving soon because they were giving him a circumcision. They told us that happens a few days before they leave. The nurse was also talking about formula with them.

Flynn has a new nurse everyday. They rotate so he has the same one more than once but typically it is a different one everyday. The nurse he had yesterday was very informative. She covered a lot of care tips for me for when he comes home. She went over signs of dehydration, and other problems. Also told me to clean his mouth twice a day which isn't just for cleaning but also to help with prepping him for a toothbrush when he has teeth.

The most interesting thing she taught me was that it is important to rock with him twice a day for 30 minutes. As a preemie he needs help with his brain development and apparently its been found to help with left and right brain function if you rock them. This should not be hard for Chris and I. Chris loves to rock. Just have to make sure he doesn't rock him while he eats or just after. 

I spent part of yesterday working on the happier bits of his baby book. I really can't wait to bring my son home. I hate that I can only see him for short times.

Today when I went in he was still off oxygen which is great. They had told me yesterday he has mild lung disease which is actually the better end of what to expect with a preemie and the only way to fix it is for him to be off assisted oxygen for at least 30 consecutive days so it seems like today marked day 2. We shall see if he can stay like this.

The other big news today was that he is no longer in preemie sized diapers. The nurse he had today went ahead and moved him over to newborn size. He weighed in the other day at 5lbs 14oz so he is so close to 6lbs I can understand the move. Diapers go by weight after all. My son is almost 5 weeks old and finally fits in newborn diapers. He isn't long enough yet to fit in new born clothes but by the time he comes home he should be.

Before I go. Here are some of the photos from when he was little. This was after he had been there for over a week. I don't have any from earlier. Not available to share here. You can see how much he has grown in these.









I'm hoping the next time I share photos they wont be from the hospital. ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...